Friday 6 July 2007

Pottermania...

What is it about this book that has made crazed maniac out of otherwise normal people (well, okay, myself included)
When the first Harry potter book came out, no one paid much attention, atleast not in Mumbai..and then slowly momentum built up, from one potter fan to another, the news spread and the sales grew
The interesting point was the books appeal to one and all - old and young. I know for sure that even my Mom was smitten by it, not to mention the rest of my very big extended family.
The very fact that Harry potter and the conclusion of the last book was the topic of a long and heated discussion at work with my friends who happen to be in 23+ just goes to show that this is one legacy that’s gonna stick around for a long long time.
Take my Sis for example....as with everyone else, she claims to be the biggest Harry potter fan.
She's gone so far as to write the names of Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and the other actors on our tea flask (yes, tea flask)
Some people, when they have a nightmare or are unable to sleep, read the bible or some other holy book, or drink a glass of water, walk around in the bedroom a lil' and calm themselves and go back to sleep. But not my Sis. She reads Harry potter. Even if its for the 37th time and she has to do it in the loo, its never stopped her before.
I'm sure she can tell you what's on pg 15 of the first book, or what the name of the 3rd chapter of the 4th book is. Any Harry potter trivia and she's the queen of the game.
Every movie, serial, or any event that happens at home has to have a parallel with a HP book or movie. There's a collage on our wall on dear ole Harry. There aren't any family pics ( or any pics at all )..but there sure as hell is a huge collage on HP.
The movie's coming out on the 15th, obviously my darling sister is gonna watch the first show (at 10:00 in the morning that too).
Sigh, when the last movie came out in 2005 (or was it 2004?), she did the same thing and then this yr watched the same movie over again at home as an "anniversary celebration")
Its just getting too much I tell you... I can understand that at 17, one doesn't really have a brain in ones head :O) but this much of adulation over a bloody book.. I mean I can understand if she had a boyfriend and doted on him that much - atleast that’s 2 way... But this is a one sided thing, and you're spending loads of money and time on something that , well, just is. Daniel Radcliffe has no freaking idea my sis exists, so why the hell does she care
I'm not gonna fool myself that since this is the last book all this pottermania will die down...no I think it will still be around for many yrs to come..and our children's children will be reading these like the Enid Blyton books around (now those books are really good)
At this point I must confess I'm a HP fan myself..but as u can see, its nothing I twist my knickers over... It’s a book !!! Okay, so I've read most of the books twice over, but that’s cause there wasn’t anything else to do.. See!!! I have my head on my shoulders, not up in the clouds... I'm sane... But my sis...
I'm dreading the next few weeks ahead... First the movie and then the book and then Mr. Radcliffe's birthday... July July. when will it end.

No comments: